In case you were wondering...
I AM THE LARRY CARSMAN WHO:
Was born in Cleveland, OH:
Grew up in Detroit, MI:
- Accomplished nothing; left at 9 months.
Moved to Cambridge, MA (1970) and lived in a Barn on Mass. Ave.:
- Attended Shulze Elememtary/Jr High School.
- Graduated (Class President!!) in Jan 1965.
- Attended Cass Tech and Graduated in Jan '68.
- Edited the underground newspaper "Yellow."
- Sang in the choir and composed original music for several plays.
- Attended Beaverbrook Summer Music Camp (1965 & 67).
- Was thrown out for smoking pot in '67.
- Studied guitar with Bruce Oatley, Carl Bernstein, and Joe Fava
- Played in: The Shadesman, The Back and Back Boo Funny Music Band, The
Family Medicine Chest and The Gold Brothers, with appearances at the "Red
Roach" coffeehouse on Plum Street and the world famous "Grande Ballroom."
- Lived around Wayne Campus circa 1968-9 and then co-founded the "Trout
Fishing in America" Commune in Southfield 1969.
- Played with Joe Rosanova and The Vineyard at "Gino's Falcon Showbar" and
in the second version of The Naked Lunch at the "Duchess Lounge."
- Taught guitar at Cailotto Music.
Moved to St. Thomas ,USVI in 1977:
- Played for spare change on Cambridge Common.
- Played briefly with the "Bosstown Sound" band Ill Wind.
- Co-founded the James Montgomery Band.
- Started the Larry Carsman Blues Band.
- Started the Larry Carsman Trio & Quartet, which appeared in coffeehouses
and nightclubs throughout New England. The quartet also opened concerts for
Bonnie Raiit, Blood Sweat & Tears, Billy Cobham, Leon Redbone , Livingston
Taylor, The Flying Burrito Brothers and many others.
- Taught guitar at Scorpio Music, Jeff Furst's School of Contemporary Music
and then independently at home.
- Studied Classical guitar with Lance Gunderson, Andrew Caponigro and Hugh
Returned to Boston area in 1984:
- Played solo at many hotels and restaurants.
- Played with Keith Husband at the legendary Big Bamboo in Red Hook.
- Played with bands at The Greenhouse, The Dove and other locations.
- Played in a duo with Susan Lewis.
- Taught privately.
- Played with Misty Morning at numerous Chinese restaurants, clubs, and
- With flautist Peter Bloom formed Duo C & B, which recorded the CD .Amaroso,
the Heartbeat of Brazil. Performed at many functions. Still play every summer
at the Post Office Square Park Lunch Series.
- Is a member of Copley Chamber Players.
- Led Pop and the Hots for functions. Also played functions with Shirim
and the Klezmer Conservatory Band.
- Formed several new iterations of The Larry Carsman Blues Band, performing
in local Boston area clubs and schools.
- Freelanced as guitarist and vocalist with many Blues and R&B Bands.
- Freelanced as guitarist and singer with society bands including The Winniker
Orchestra, Eddie Madden Orchestra.
- Taught at Cambridge Music.
- Studied guitar with Robert Sullivan.
- Appeared on recordings with Scott Shetler and Glenn Shambroom.
- Plays occasionally with Aardvark, Boston's avant-garde jazz orchestra
and Mark Harvey's Jazztet.
- Played "First Night" at Worcester, Providence, and Boston with Evan Harlan's
- Played "First Night" at Quincy with Sarah Carsman, and with Billy Novick
- Sang choral music under Lorna Cooke DeVaron and later under George Emlen
in the NEC Camerata.
- Also sang in Wellesley & Framingham Unitarian churches under various conductors.